Saturday Snicker: Pretzel Napping Like a Gymnast!

After twenty years of living with Corgis, Rugby’s napping styles never cease to make me smile!  Corgis are such heavily muscled, long backed dogs, that they can’t physically fold into a lot of positions.  Rugby is long and lean, and has legs like a gazelle!  One minute he’s tightly curled into a ball with his floofy tail flipped up over his snoot so that only his chocolate drop eyes are visible through the mess of furry speckles and spots.

Transfer from Galaxy SIII 147
He tucks his tail gracefully over his snoot, and looks like the tiniest ball when he curls up like this!

The next minute, he’s sleeping all sprawled out….stretched out as long as he can possibly be….long legs splayed out all over the place like they have minds of their own! (See last week’s Saturday Snicker: Olympic Pretzel Napping: The Torch for great additional examples of this one).

Extra points for the crossed front legs!

But then there are the naps where it’s a bit of something in between, and those naps can really make me grin and giggle!!  Sometimes, Rugby’s long legs get tucked into him in amazing positions, and that’s the subject of today’s blog!  I really think Rugby could compete in a category called “Gymnastic Napping” because he folds himself into amazing positions like he is completely made of rubber!

Note the back paw just under his snout!

BOTH back feet are stretched out to his snoot, and hugged by his front legs!

And this one….wow! The very back of his head is resting on his back! Extra style points for this one for staying inside the boundary of his bed!

Now that Rugby’s nine years old, I see more naps from him than I did three years ago.  They are endearing to me, and treasures, because his sleeping styles are as completely unique and charming as Rugby James himself!

So go ahead….giggle away….and get that gold medal ready for Rugby James!  He’s in a class of his own!!

Comments

1. Sarah Thomas says

Sweetest lil speckled furbaby ever! I need this today; woke up to heart-breaking news and a difficult night at work. I love you and the Mama, lil Rugby!!!! <3 <3 <3

Sarah, this week has gotten away from me, but I wanted to say that I'm so very sorry for your difficult news to start your day and rotten night at work to finish it!! I'm so glad this could provide a much needed smile for your day!! Sending you big hugs and puppy licks too!! <3

We call that belly up position sleeping sunny side up! I hope Goose can make you grin as much as Rugby does for me! 😀

Seeing how dogs sometimes choose to sleep really makes you wonder how that can be comfy. On the other hand, I never tried any of these positions ... maybe we're missing out!

Hahaha!! Jana, we say the same thing: HOW can that be comfortable!! But you make an excellent point! Maybe we ARE missing out on something fun!! 😀

Haha!! Gold medal for pretzel napping! Kilo is a bit limited in his physical choices due to his body shape....much like our Corgis were! But I know he would beat Rugby paws down in the snoring category!! 😉

Lol his sleep positions are too funny! Simba has a lot of sleep positions too but I think Rugby defense gets the gold LOL

Haha!! Thanks so much! Few dogs I've met can come close to Rugby in terms of creative sleeping styles!! It just seems like he'd be a natural for the gold medal if it were an Olympic event for dogs!! 😀

Oh now I would dearly love to see a Doxie with his little stubbies straight up in the air!! My Corgis sprawled their back legs wide open, but they typically folded their little front paws down....like a Praying Mantis! Glad you enjoyed the photos and the post! It was really fun to put together! 😀

Rugby is such a cute sleeper! I love it when pets sleep in funny positions. My cats occasionally sleep funny ways, but not as often as Rugby does. He is a doll. 🙂

I think he's quite rubbery in how he poses while he sleeps too!! And really, he jumps like nobody's business, so maybe he really would give Simone Biles a run for it!! I'm so very glad this post made you smile! It was really fun to put together!

Rugby really is quite flexible! I'd say he has a shot at the Gold in gymnastics, LOL! I love watching my dogs nap in weird positions, always makes me laugh.
    Love & Biscuits,
    Dogs Luv Us and We Luv Them

The goofy napping positions dogs choose are always good for a laugh!! Rugby is so very athletic, and his long legs and lean body give him options for naps that our Corgis never had! It's fun sharing the giggles with other dog lovers!! 😀

Oh cats can sleep in some crazy positions, can't they? I remember my daughter's cat sitting in a corner of a big comfy chair, and then rocking back like a bear, and then folding himself in half, and sleeping for hours like that!! We used to giggle a lot at him as well!! 😀

It's a daily giggle at my house that's for sure, Beth!! New styles crop up every now and again, but he's always up to something funny!! 😀

So glad you enjoyed the post! It was really fun to put together!! After our Corgis, Rugby is SO much more flexible, and his positions are so unique!! He's always worth a daily giggle!! 😀