The Joy of a Brand New Polka Dottie Piggie!

Maybe it’s because Rugby is a huge barker in general, but he has always liked really noisy toys.  He seems to thrive on the loudest and most obnoxious sounds in his toys.  And for whatever reason, those noises have never really bothered me a whole lot, I think because of the tremendous joy I see on his face when he is playing with a toy.  Rugby loves toys.  He really does…more so than any other dog I’ve ever owned.

Rugby has been a HUGE fan of polka dottie piggies since 2009.  That’s when I saw that first adorable little blue toy with the goofy grin in a local store, and picked it up to see what kind of noise it made!  Oh my goodness!  These little pig toys honk and grunt just like the sounds I’ve heard real pigs make, and I stood in the toy aisle of the store, laughing out loud and not really caring if anyone heard me or not!

first blue piggie
Rugby’s very first blue piggie

Initially, we only gave Rugby one pig toy.  He had a good assortment of other toys, and I had never gotten him more than one of anything….I guess because the thought never occurred to me…the exception being tennis balls and Nylabone Wishbones.  What I noticed, however, was that once Rugby made peace with his piggie, he consistently chose that specific toy over all of the others in his toy box.  He was rarely seen without his piggie, and if I happened to put it away, he was looking for it, leaving his other toys behind.

It got to the point where I realized how much Rugby really did love these little piggie toys!  And because I sometimes couldn’t find them in local stores, I decided that if they ever stopped selling or making them, my goose would be cooked, because Rugby was just smitten with that toy!  The thought of disappointing him was too much for me, because he already had such a small world, and he was just crazy about his piggie toys!

So, when I found them, I got extras, and I let him have two, for which he was very pleased, and extremely happy!  When he gets a new piggie, the very first thing he has to do is take it to his bed.  He always takes anything that’s precious to him to his bed.  And he lovingly licks it, and sniffs it and looks it over, just like a new mama does with a new baby….counting fingers and toes!

And then he grunts it, and grunts it, and grunts it some more.  But not just any grunts, mind you.  Rugby grunts his piggies like a celebrated cellist bringing out the various tones and sounds from his new piggie, almost like he’s playing a symphony with it.  It’s almost like he enjoys listening to the new piggie, getting to know what the little nuances are in this new piggie’s voice that makes this one different from the others.

So, for your listening pleasure, is a Rugby James symphony played on the brand new, common orange polka dottie piggie.  The last note is worth waiting for!  Enjoy.  And if you want a few encores, trust me….Rugby will happily comply!!

Comments

This piggie toy looks and sounds amazing! Clearly, I need to research this and perhaps order one for each dog! My dog don't really have a favorite toy. They gravitate towards yak bones and perhaps a squeaky toy that no longer has the squeaky. This pig noise is precious and hilarious! There is nothing as fab as the joy of a new toy!!

When I got Rugby's very first piggie, I honestly didn't think it would last 15 minutes with him, and he was honestly scared of it for about two or three days! Once he discovered how much fun it was, that was it. This is his FAVORITE toy in the entire world! It's his coping toy like a security blanket when he's scared, and it keeps him from aggressive explosions when triggered. He has enough impulse control to find his piggie, and grunts away until the moment passes. These little piggies are far more than toys to Rugby and they have such a special place in my heart as well! <3

So true!! Kitties are so delicate where noises are concerned, and Rugby is totally like bring on the most obnoxious sounds you can find!! We learned early on that he much preferred noisy toys to quiet ones! That's still true today!!

Well, they do make them for smaller dogs, but the only similarity is the looks. The noise is just a normal little whistle squeak...nothing at ALL like the grunts that the big piggies make. I sent one to my friend's Miniature Schnauzer, and he drags it by its snout!! If you found a small one, I think you'd be disappointed, to be perfectly honest.

Right? The spots are what make them so very cute!! The real fun happens in the middle of the night when I step on one on my way to the bathroom! The poor piggie's squeal can be heard all the way to Europe!! 😀

It could be! Rugby has been a polka dottie piggie fan since 2009, and he is just NUTS over them!! 😀

I think that my dog Theo would love one of these piggie toys! I know you'll understand this, but I'm thrilled because Theo just transitioned from being Theosaurus Rex with his toys to having a plush toy that has lasted for more than a week, and still going! Just today I gave him a different plush toy, and so far it has lasted more than ten minutes.

I absolutely DO understand your situation with the plush toy!! I taught Rugby to play gently with those kind of toys when he was a younger dog, which might be a good idea for a blog post!! 😀 Belly rubs to Theo!!

Tonya, I only wish I had gotten that stock in 2009!! I'm sure Rugby has kept them afloat all by himself!! 😉

Koda loves the piggy too. Ossian just wants to tear its throat out. We've had three so far in their life, and it last for about a day or two. Ossian just can't stand the "symphony" that koda plays with the piggy I love these posts. Great blog!!!

Oh doggies!! Rugby would be devastated if another dog destroyed his beloved piggies!! That's just tragic!! Thanks so much for reading, and I'm so glad you loved the posts!! You've made my day!! <3

I am so blessed that I just stumbled upon these little toys by accident! They have absolutely revolutionized life at our house for sure!! I'm so glad that Kilo has his favorite toys as well!! 😀

Actually, I didn't mention where I got Rugby's first piggie in the article, because I didn't want to promote any one source, since there are multiple places where I've seen them. One consistent place that's super easy is Amazon. Local stores can be hit or miss, and I've never seen them in any of the big box pet stores. Keep in mind that many dogs are initially scared of them. They really are loud, and the piggies blow air out of their mouths, which can seem a bit aggressive when taken with the grunts. It took Rugby 2-3 days to make peace with his first piggie, so go slowly with Avery, and you'll do just fine!! If you get stuck, you can ask Rugby for advice on his FB page, and he will be happy to coach Avery! 😀

Rugby is definitely a noisy dog who loves noise. He is happy to supply the noise if none is currently available!! 😉

Rugby enjoys a couple of plush toys for snuggle buddies when he naps, but when he plays and needs a coping tool, piggies rule, and plushies drool!! 😉

That is hysterical! I love that it makes a pig-like noise. What a fun toy! I can't blame Rugby for enjoying that. He probably gets a good doggy laugh every time it squeaks. 🙂

Robin, the grunts are the very best part!! Hands down!! We have laughed and laughed over the years watching Rugby play, and I can't tell you how many of these piggies we mailed to FB fans who couldn't find them for their own dogs! Knowing the fun that they would bring to those owners, I didn't think twice about packing them up and sending them off!!

They really are easy to clean, which is good, because they quickly get covered with Rugby spit! When they get too worn, I let him take them out to the yard for outside toys.

Trust me....Rugby is NUTS over his little piggies!! They are often the subject of discussion at our house in some form or fashion!!

These little piggies are a pretty good mouthful for Rugby, and Dex has a shorter snout! Good news, though, because they are very soft and he could easily squish it to pick it up! 😀

What a positively delightful post! Rugby is super cute "playing his cello", LOL! It's smart to buy extras of a toy your dog loves to very much, you never know when they'll stop making something. I'd buy a dozen of these adorable piggies & stash them away. My dog Phoebe does the same thing, anything precious gets stashed away in her bed. I'm so glad he's found a toy he loves as much as his polka dot piggy!
    Love & Biscuits,
    Dogs Luv Us and We Luv Them

Aww...thanks so much for your kind comment, Cathy!! I'm so glad you liked the post! We get treated to "Pig Symphonies" on a daily basis!! I do have a small stash of pigs...just in case!! I was just sick when he gutted his first one and I thought I would never find one again!! I'm so glad Phoebe has a safe place for her stash as well! I hope all dogs can have a favorite toy that they love just as much as Rugby loves his piggies!! <3

Thank you so much!! These little piggies really are very cute little toys! They have the silliest grin on their faces, and their shape and grunts make them irresistible to humans for sure!! 😀

6. FiveSibesMom says

Oh my goodness, I just looooove that symphony! And I'm laughing because as it's playing, my Huskies all perked up looking around at where the sound is coming from! LOL! Rugby is just adorable! Such a feel-good post!

So glad you liked Rugby's piggie concert! Any time I post a video of him playing with his piggies on his FB page, I get the same comments from his fans: "My dog was looking all over for the piggie!" Hahaha!!! Ways that we enjoy messing with our dogs' minds!! Thanks for your kind comments! I'm so glad the post made you feel good! That's exactly what I was hoping to achieve! 😀

I'm glad Simba has favorite toys. None of my previous dogs were all that big on toys, so it's been really fun having the "toy experience" with Rugby!! <3

This is so adorable, Iove how dogs get so obsessed with their toys. These days, my big dog keeps taking the little toys, and the little, the big. They're such funny animals!

Rugby is the first dog I've ever owned who is just crazy about a toy! I am totally enjoying watching him play!! And where your dogs are concerned, I honestly think that every dog just wants what the other dog has...hahaha!!

They are just beyond fun!! I think my husband and I have enjoyed these piggies every bit as much as Rugby has!!

Well, Christy, I think you would be a bit overwhelmed with these piggies, because they ARE very noisy and scary....to many dogs initially, but definitely to a kitty!