Saturday Snicker: A Piggie, a Big Bear and a Supper Dish!

I never know what I’ll find at home.  Rugby has so many cute and endearing habits, and they just warm my heart through and through.  He carries his little piggies everywhere, often napping or snuggling with them when he’s not grunting them and herding me!  He generally likes having one or two of them nearby, and it’s a very frequent sight at our house.  When he hears a noise that trips his trigger, he flies up from a nap, barking his head off, and looking for the closest piggie.  He grabs his piggie, and grunts away, working out his frustration and anxiety with his piggie friend, until the moment has passed and he can calm himself once again.  It’s a daily thing at my house.

Another really cute habit he has, is that after every single meal, when he has finished off his kibble and Salmon, he carries his supper bowl to whatever bed he plans to nap, and lays down and licks and licks and cleans it better than a dishwasher for sure!  He typically takes anything of value to one of his beds, so those usually have piggies and a bonus supper dish on them if it’s right after mealtime.

I walked into the living room one day, and this is what I found!  His little orange piggie was snuggling with Big Bear, and his supper dish, carefully placed for safekeeping.

These are the important things in the life of my little twenty-three pound dog.  These little habits make up his daily routine and give him stability and security.  They are the sweet habits that I cherish deeply, because they are uniquely Rugby.  They always make me smile.  Every. Single. Time.

Have a smile or snicker for your Saturday….courtesy of Rugby James!

002 (8)

Comments

Rugby has some of the biggest personality inside his 23 pound body!! He's definitely one of a kind, and really keeps me laughing!!

Rugby is the most unique dog I've ever owned. He's definitely one of a kind...and that might just be a very good thing! He keeps me on my toes, and he is quite a character!! You are absolutely right about that! 😀

• maryehaight says

It's such fun seeing some of the the internal life of our dogs through their behavior. And so endearing in these little vignettes depicting their favorite things, wanting to keep them close =) Rugby looks like a real cutie! Tashi had Teddy, his bestie squeaky bear from puppyhood, but Kiki foster girl murdered him, laying his parts out proudly across the lawn. It was a sad discovery, but truly Tashi had lost interest in squeaking him (he's nearly 17 now). I must smile 50 times a day because of him. Kiki at 3.5 yrs is such a contrast, lol! She's so careful around him, and shows me every time how careful she's being, probably because she feels my watchful waiting pose and can tell I'm holding my breath!

I really love hearing how Kiki and Tashi live together! I love how they respect one another, and seem to really understand being careful with a friend who is older or injured. I really understand smiling a lot every day because of your dogs. I'm a professional dog trainer, and my day is filled with wonderful dog experiences every day of the week!! Dogs are such amazing critters, and I'm blessed to have so many share their lives with me!

Oh that is just too precious! 🙂 A favorite memory of mine is when our Zeus had TPLO surgery and was using the hallway as his relaxing spot to "stay close" to us but not too far away. He wasn't too mobile and his brother and sister had been bringing him toys most of the day... by dinner time he was surrounded with squeakies, plushies, and balls!

What a wonderful story, Nichole! Thanks for sharing it!! I can just picture Zeus with his pile of offerings from his brother and sister!! That's just the sweetest thing, and I'm absolutely sure that they knew he didn't feel good and couldn't get up to get his own toys. Makes my heart smile for sure!! <3

Anything Rugby values goes to his bed. It always makes me smile. I think of a six year old boy with a rock, a soda tab, a paperclip and buckeye in his pocket as treasures. It's much the same way for Rugby, and I just love that about him! It's one of the very special things that he does!

You are so right that thinking is hard work and tires a dog out!! Rugby's piggies have been such a blessing to all of us, because it really has helped him manage his aggressive responses to triggers. I wish that he had been able to work through much of his reactive behavior, but the best I've been able to accomplish with him is to teach him a new way to cope that's not aggressive. I can live with piggies being grunted day and night if it helps him manage the scary things of life!! Good luck with Mr. N!! I wish you every success!!!

Aww, those are really endearing habits! So cute. When we return from being out somewhere, we often find that one of the dogs has left their little brown bear toy in our bed! We have yet to determine who does it, but it's just so cute we love coming home to that. We could put a camera in the room, but we have too much fun pondering which one of the dogs does it; Icy or Phoebe LOL!
    Love & Biscuits,
    Dogs Luv Us and We Luv Them

How sweet that they always choose the same toy and put it in the same place!! Wouldn't you love to know what goes on in their little puppy heads? Your comment just made me smile!! Thanks for reading and commenting!! 😀

Those two places must be Kilo's special spots where he really feels safe! I feel so blessed to work with dogs every day of the week! They are the best to put a smile on my face and a spring in my step! ❤️

Oh my gosh, I love that he understands how to work through his anxiety by playing with his piggies! When we first adopted Ruby, she had a toy that we called purple man. Purple man was given to us by her foster family. For the first few years, she kept purple man close. Purple man is still around, but she has eased up and doesn't seem to need him quite as much.

Love the picture and the story, too!

Rugby's response to change is much the same as an autistic child.....he just melts down! I had hoped to train through it to extinction, but no such luck. He's much, much better in many ways, but his piggies have been invaluable in helping him learn to re-direct his aggressive behavior to some change stimuli! He calms much quicker, and it keeps all of us safe when he's over his head with something! So very glad that Ruby feels so secure that she doesn't need Purple Man to help her as much anymore! Well done! She trusts you and knows you will protect her! Love it!! ❤️

Rugby is quite a storyteller, Karen! He and I have complete conversations together! I never arrange his toys for photos. I just snap the photo of what I see! This one made me smile...Rugby is a real character through and through! 😊

Rugby makes me smile every day! I love sharing stories about those little habits from time to time because all of our dogs have unique little ways about them, and even though Rugby's little habits are totally different than someone else's dog, all of us relate to something special that our dogs (or kitties) consistently do! Glad we could make you smile! 😀

4. FiveSibesMom says

Awww...that is just so sweet! Rugby knows how special that food dish is! One of our Huskies has a very special "baby" - a blue shark toy. Goes everywhere with her, including in her crate where she will fall asleep while staring at it, with her paw on top of it. Love their endearing habits! Just makes me smile! 🙂

I just love your little story about your dog's blue sharky toy!! I never knew how very important toys could be to a dog until I had Rugby. His little polka dottie piggies are his entire world! I smile every day watching him play and snuggle with them! <3

Cute pup you've got there! Those little habits are so endearing. Teddys are wonderful for dogs. Tashi, however, lost his puppyhood bestie last Summer when the GSD disemboweled him. It was a sad day.

He gets half his dinner in a puzzle toy, and he's always very happy to "search" for his food.

Rugby actually destroyed his very first blue polka dottie piggie in 2009. The older ones didn't have a good neck seam, and the glue came apart and a bit of the stuffing would often poke out. Once Rugby saw that little stuffing, he went to town! I quickly learned to slap some duct tape across it, because Rugby won't chew that up. So sorry Tashi's besti is no more. A sad day indeed!

We used to exclusively use puzzle toys for feeding Rugby, but he's a bit of a resource guarder, and he got nasty if he had food in a puzzle toy and someone walked into the room with him! He's much better with it, and I give him those toys on occasion for fun, but we have to be very careful how we handle food and snacks at our house! 😀

Rugby sounds like a sweetheart. Our Puggle mix has to grab a toy when someone comes over, not sure if he is showing it off, or if it something else. We adopted him 3 years ago and he's always done this. I think it is very endearing.

Rugby does have some very endearing qualities about him, that's for sure! I really think that when dogs bring a toy to someone who comes over, it's a very high form of praise. They're sharing what's important to them with a guest as a way of showing affection. I'm sure they always hope for some play with the stranger too, but I think it's their way of telling that stranger how much they like them and honor them by sharing a toy with them. I often see that when I'm going to a home to train or evaluate a dog. Usually they are making big wide butt wiggles and happy, excited tail wags too!! I always love it!!

I find myself giggling with little scenes like this throughout the day and week! I never place any of those items....they are always just as I find them. Rugby is the most unique dog I've ever owned, and he has some of the most endearing qualities about him!!